Sunday, June 10, 2012

Summer Vacation

I'm not one of those people who can handle things in small doses. For example, earlier today I bought a package of sno-ball cupcakes.

They are essentially a cream-filled chocolate cake covered in marshmallow and sprinkled with coconut flakes. They also come in packs of two. My plan for these two cupcakes was to cut them in half and have a half every day for the next four days, because trust me, that's plenty. Yet where are the cupcakes now, you ask? In my kitchen cabinet, safely wrapped in plastic? Of course not. Why, they are making their way through my digestive tract. And I don't feel good about it.

This is the same thing that's been happening to me with the Internet. I tell myself "oh, I'll just check Twitter in the morning," or "oh, I'll just read this one blog," or "oh, I'll just post this on Tumblr without looking at my messages." And before you know it, it's 4 in the afternoon, I haven't written a single word, and I'm feeling really anxious because prolonged Internet time does that to me lately. (Which is not your fault, Internet people. I mean, I just compared you to a sno-ball cupcake, so you know I <3 you.)

 That is why I am taking this three week vacation. Because I am unable to partially abstain, I have to totally abstain, and I'm giving myself these three weeks before I set out on tour again to see if I can break the technology addiction and, when I return, find a better way to relate to the Internet. Here are the things I intend to do while I'm gone:

-Take open courses!
-Walk the dog!
-Hang out with people!
-Take up cooking!

I think that should suffice.

I would like to recommend the following blogs for your viewing pleasure:

I'll catch you on the flip side.

Author out.


Related Posts with Thumbnails