Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Road Trip Wednesday: This Kind of Thing, I Like

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic. This week's question:

What are your all-time favorite book covers?

Answer: *splutter* THERE ARE TOO MANY COVERS! HOW WILL I EVALUATE ALL OF THEM TO LOCATE MY FAVORITES?

I don't like many book covers, to be honest. Most of the time I find them to be too busy or too loud. One of my favorite covers, for example, is this one:



Pretty plain, right? But it gets the point across, it's not dragging your eye in six different directions, and yet it somehow manages to convey the tone of the book, which is: disturbing.

So as not to risk thinking about this question all day and completely forgetting to work on Insurgent, I'm just going to present a type of cover I have come to like, and it is the illustrated cover. I find that I gravitate toward these because they stand out in a genre that is largely dominated by pictures of girls. (Not that covers with girls on them are bad. I often like those too. There are just a lot of them.)

Now, this type of cover really wouldn't work for some books. It wouldn't, for example, work for Divergent. I think it does work for more poetic works, or fairytale retellings, or gothic-style books, and so on. Which is what I have to show you.



And at first, I wasn't sure what to think about these Penguin Deluxe Editions of Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, but I have finally landed on the side of liking them:





Especially Heathcliff on the left up there. Perfect.

Anyway. To the illustrated covers, I say, carry on!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails