Wednesday, August 3, 2011

11 Weeks, and a Finished Draft

It is official (actually, it's been official for two weeks now, but I've been working on Insurgent like a madwoman and haven't gotten to talk about it): Divergent's run on the New York Times bestseller list was eleven weeks long. It was an incredible run for me, particularly because hitting the list in the first place was a dream I never quite dared to have, and staying there for more than five minutes was straight up INSANITY.

Sometimes it takes a long time for these things to set in, for me, so I'm sure I reacted with substantially less screaming and jumping up and down than I should have, but the truth is, I never really believed it. I still barely believe that the book is on shelves, for goodness' sake. But it set in a little bit recently, when I saw the cover proofs for Insurgent and there it was, New York Times Bestselling Author Veronica Roth. It sort of stole the air from my lungs.

(No, you can't see the cover proofs yet...but SOON! I promise.)

Anyway: I just wanted to thank every reader/bookseller/librarian/teacher who recommended Divergent to a family member or a friend or a student or a teacher or a customer, and every person at the HC who worked on it or supported it. Word of mouth is by far the most powerful book-spreading tool, and your mouths are responsible for this wonderful thing I get to carry around for the rest of my life. So thank you.

In other news, I finished the revised draft of Insurgent at 1AM on Sunday (well, I guess that's technically Monday). But there is still work to do! If I could get a book right in just ONE round of revisions, I would be like some kind of writer mutant, and I would be checking myself for flippers or gills or something. There will be other rounds of edits. Plus a line editing round. Plus a copyediting round. Plus page proofs. Plus...well, let's just say it takes longer than you'd think.

Still, I'm really happy with the way it turned out and the fact that it's done. And excited, though prematurely, for everyone to read it!

Have a good week, everyone.


Related Posts with Thumbnails