Thursday, May 12, 2011

Six

"Then everyone can call you Six."

-Divergent, Page 407

(That quote will make no sense to you if you haven't read the book, but I thought it was fun.)

I have announced this on Twitter and Facebook, but yesterday I found out that DIVERGENT debuted at #6 on the New York Times Bestseller List!

What I haven't mentioned yet is that it also debuted at #2 on the Indie Bestseller list!

Holy moly.

I am a little too overwhelmed to say anything intelligent about this, to be honest. As usual, I think I confused both editor and agent when I did not scream or squeal or discuss the numbness in my legs (sadly my legs remained full of feeling). In fact, I confused myself by my reaction, which was: sudden relaxation.

Because the news that all the hard work of my agent, my editor, everyone at Harper (especially those on the marketing and publicity side of things), every bookseller who hand-sold Divergent to their customers, every bookstore that put its support behind the book, every teacher and librarian who recommended it to their students, every book blogger who recommended it online, and of course, every reader who bought it, had made something so amazing possible gave me one predominant feeling, and that was gratitude. (Which is more of a relaxed emotion than, say, giddiness. That came later.)

And that's really what I want to communicate to you now. I wrote the book and I made it as good as I possibly could, but without you guys, it would still be a large .docx file on my computer-- something to be proud of, yes, as any complete manuscript is, but not this. This is fantastic and overwhelming and I couldn't have done it without you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails