Monday, February 21, 2011

Really Quick: About E-Mail

I was crossing my fingers and hoping I wouldn't have to address this, but as time wears on I realize I probably should. Here goes: I am crap at answering e-mail.

Many of you have e-mailed me, either to ask for something in particular or simply to share your reactions to the ARC or the blog. The reasons I haven't responded are twofold:

A. I suddenly find myself getting a lot of e-mail, and by the end of the day, the collection of e-mails seems so large that I am almost certain it will congeal into an e-mail shaped monster with very sharp teeth that will eat me whole if I so much as try to respond even to one.

B. Because I am trying very hard to finish the rough draft of D2 (the sequel to Divergent, for those not In The Know), I have not had time to fashion myself a sword to combat that menacing e-mail monster. (Or, if you'd rather me say it plainly, I'm trying to prioritize: draft before e-mails.)

So I'm going to respond very generally here.

Question 1: "Can you send me an ARC?"

Lovely E-Mailer, I would love to send you an ARC. I really, really would. In fact, I would love to send you a free hardcover copy, even though those don't exist yet. But I just don't have them. If you would like an ARC, you must contact HarperCollins. I will try my best to forward your request, but that also takes a lot of time, so please be understanding if I don't manage to do that.

Question 2: "Can I interview you?"

Lovely E-Mailer #2, I would also love to do an interview. However, I won't be able to do every interview I'm asked to do. And I'm not sure how many I'm going to do. And I'm not sure how I'm going to pick which ones I do and don't do. So...give me a bit to figure that out. *flail* I will try to get back to you.

E-Mail 3: "I read your book! And it was [insert adjective here]!"

First of all, thank you so much for e-mailing me! I am really delighted to read reactions to the ARC. I'm even open to somewhat-less-positive reactions (though I don't delight in those so much, they are still important). And every e-mail I get, I do read, so I promise you that I got your e-mail, smiled at it, wanted to reply with a thank you and a few "what did you think of THIS part? Or THIS part? Did you get confused at THIS part?" questions, decided I needed to work on the draft first, put the e-mail aside, and promptly forgot about it. I'm going to try to respond to you all in due time, but I may not get to it, so I will say this here, now: I really appreciate hearing from you.

And for those of you wondering how on earth you can send me e-mail, my address is veronicarothbooks[at]gmail[dot]com.



Related Posts with Thumbnails