Friday, October 29, 2010

The Not Writing Mission

In the interest of keeping myself motivated with this "expose yourself to the outside world" plan (detailed by my blog post a few days ago here), I am going to start posting things. Not writing things.

1. This article about introversion. It's kind of long, but I especially like this part: "In a series of studies in which subjects were presented with an effortful task such as taking a test, thinking rationally, or giving a speech, introverts did not choose to invoke happy feelings, reports Boston College psychologist Maya Tamir. They preferred to maintain a neutral emotional state. Happiness, an arousing emotion, may be distracting for introverts during tasks. By contrast, extraverts reported a preference to feel "happy," "up," or "enthusiastic" and to recall happy memories while approaching or completing the tasks." Having spent my entire life dwelling in neutral states while getting work done, I find it fascinating that not everyone does that. Extraverts, teach me your confusing ways.

2. A list of interesting facts about Jupiter. Including: it's so large all the other planets could fit inside it. And: "if Jupiter got any more massive, it would actually get smaller. Additional mass would actually make the planet more dense, and start pulling it in on itself."

3. This poem by ee cummings. Yeah, yeah, I know. Just read it:

who are you,little i
(five or six years old)
peering from some high
window;at the gold
of november sunset
(and feeling:that if day
has to become night
this is a beautiful way)

4. Ice. (Be careful about clicking that link-- I can't vouch for the clean-ness of the pics on the sidebar.)

5. Monstropedia. Because wikipedia's not enough-- we need specialty encyclopedias. I like that there's a section for serial killers. Seems a bit out of place, no? Still: interesting.

If you have a link to something interesting you encountered this week, post it in the comments! I want to see.


Related Posts with Thumbnails