Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Divergent Quotation Collection

I have a thing for quotations. And I don't mean cheesy motivational ones, the kind you find when you look up "determination quotes" in Google. I mean weird segments of poems I had to read for my classes, or powerful lines in books. When I notice them, I write them down or save them to a document on my computer, and often, those quotes help me figure out stories or characters or concepts that I want to incorporate into whatever I'm writing at the time.

I have more quotes for Divergent than I've had for most other projects, and I thought it might be interesting to share them with you. They won't mean as much to you as they do to me, obviously, because you haven't read the book yet, but they are cool nonetheless, I think.

So, some of my Divergent quotes:

"Well, let her know the stubbornest of wills
Are soonest bended, as the hardest iron,
O'er-heated in the fire to brittleness,

Flies soonest into fragments, shivered through."
--Antigone, Sophocles


That quote is spoken by Creon, about Antigone. What I like about it is: he's wrong. Antigone doesn't bend. She holds to what she wants, which is to give her brother an honorable burial, even at the expense of her life. Antigone is really a great character, I think. She defies her father and then doesn't deny it; she accepts the inevitable consequences of her actions. She is an example of a strong female character who is not physically threatening in any way (as in, she doesn't have warrior skills, or anything), which we sometimes don't see these days.

"My will is mine. I will not make it soft for you."
--
Agamemnon, Aeschylus

I don't even remember what the context of that quote is, but I've always wanted to create the kind of character who could convincingly deliver that line.

(I read both of those plays for one class-- I'm not in the habit of studying this stuff on my own time, trust me.)

"But if you bite and devour one another, watch out that you are not consumed by one another."

--Galatians 5:15

I've read that line many times in my life, but last year it hit me right between the eyes. Especially when you take it out of context, and I don't usually like to do that, with verses.

"Please, let me warn them--
Don't you come here.

Don't bring anyone here."
--Chasm by Flyleaf

I can't tell you how many times I listened to that song while I was writing. So many of the lyrics helped me figure things out, but that piece of them was particularly important. It's pretty simple, I know, but something about the desperation of that warning-- I wondered what could be happening to a person that they would need to speak those lines.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

--Dune by Frank Herbert

That's what the Dauntless (you know, the brave faction) would recite daily, if they recited something.


(Oh, Dune.)

There you have it. Little pieces of my inspiration.

Does anyone else do this? Or have quotes they like? I'm a collector, you see, so I'd like to hear them. (And potentially add them to my giant list.)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails