Friday, September 10, 2010

Balance Issues

Before I get into it, I have to warn you of a very important event. It may shock you. It may thrill you. It may even make you go "ooooh."

But I'm not going to tell you what that event is. I will tell you that it's going down on Tuesday on the blog.
And that it has to do with DIVERGENT. (I bet you could have guessed that.)

Enough of that insufferable teasyness. This week's revelation: I have no sense of balance.

Okay: not literally. I can actually stand upright, I promise. Sometimes I even walk in a straight line without falling over.

Pause. Have we ever talked about my gripping problem? My right hand grips things just fine, but my left hand can only grip something for about sixty seconds before it starts to loosen. I have dropped bottles of iced tea, keys, cell phones, plates, all kinds of things because of this problem. I don't know why it happens, but I can only hope it has nothing to do with a tiny grip-hating alien crawling around in my brain.

Where was I? Oh yes. Balance.

Two weeks ago all my Veronica time was spent on the Internet. I wrote a few thousand words over the span of a few days, which, when you don't have a job and you don't have children and you basically spend all day in your pajamas, is not such a great achievement, trust me. My great triumph, however, was that I managed to tweet and blog and do all those wonderful things regularly. I also managed to answer my phone, call people back, make lively conversation with my mother, and so on.

This week, though: Not So Much.

This week I just stare at a word document. I forget to eat lunch. I stare off into space when people try to talk to me. I get all Gollum With the Precious when people interrupt me (read: slightly hostile and a little crazy). I don't respond to e-mails much, and when I do, I have trouble churning out more than one sentence. I don't answer my phone. I don't listen to my voice mails. I don't even go on the Internet, unless it's to research how many floors the Merchandise Mart building in Chicago has (eighteen) or how far it is from Millennium Park (1.2 miles).

So, balance? Not my strong suit. I'm either Writing or I'm Not. On or off. In or out.

There was a time in my life when I was okay with that, but that time is passed, because I have better priorities now. I know that my mom doesn't deserve to get the crazy eyes thrown at her every time she knocks on my (perpetually closed) bedroom door. I know that if I don't spend time with people, I will turn into a hermit. And I know that if I don't get this mortgage stuff figured out, I'll never move out of The Cavern (which is what we call my room in my parents' house.) So, I'm trying to find balance.

Other people are much better at this than I am. I know who you are-- I see you out there, taking care of your families and working day jobs and writing in the few free moments you can find in your otherwise action-packed days. My problem isn't making time, it's getting in the mindset. So, busy writer friends, tell me: how do you get yourself into the writing mindset in a short period of time?

Seriously. I need to know.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails