Friday, July 9, 2010

Five Friday...Things: DIVERGENT Update Version

1. The time for revising has come to an end. But that doesn't mean the work is over. It just means that I have, for the most part, tackled the greater problems in the manuscript that needed some serious work.

2. The time for line editing has begun. I may be somewhat abnormal in that line editing is my favorite part of the "fixing" process. I am a detail-oriented person. I mean, up until six months ago, my life plan was to be a full-time proofreader, which is sort of like deciding to pick granules of dirt out of a carpet with tweezers full time. So basically, I am thrilled. Where are my tweezers?

3. By the way, have I mentioned that DIVERGENT is on Goodreads? It even has an ISBN number. The reason I mention that is that, for some reason, an ISBN number says: your book is actually getting published. No, really. It is. And its identifying number is
9780062024022 . Enjoy.
4. I started writing the sequel to Divergent, which I will now be referring to as D2. (It has a real title, but I'm not sure that it's going to stick, so I'd rather not share it just yet.) Initially I tried to begin at the beginning, but as time went on I realized that just wasn't going to work, so I've written one of the close-to-the-end scenes and one of the beginning-middleish scenes. I was afraid that outlining the book would drain the enthusiasm right out of me, because outlining tends to eliminate that sense of discovery you get when you aren't sure where the book is going, but I am learning that isn't necessarily the case. The outline defines the story's framework, but I'm still figuring things out as I write, so that framework can be bent. And sometimes broken.

5. While writing D2, I decided to scour my computer/the Internet for D2-related inspiration. This means that the BF's discovery of Two Steps From Hell is extremely well-timed. Here, listen.

So there you have it. Have a good weekend, everyone.
Also, as a bonus: look at this brain-numbing cuteness.


Related Posts with Thumbnails