Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Two for Tuesday

Again, I am in the sad position of not having written anything new (well, that's not true. I've written a lot of new things for Divergent, but I think I've shared enough of that particular manuscript!), so I thought it would be fun to participate in the fabulous Kate Hart's Tuesday Thingy, also known as Two for Tuesday. In which I pick two things I like, be they videos or pictures or websites or whatever, post them, and find some way to relate them.

Item 1

25 English Language Oddities

Basically, this is a list of strange things some really bored guy noticed about the English language. My personal favorites are:


16. "The sixth sick sheik’s sixth sheep’s sick" is said to be the toughest tongue twister in English.


I am considering recording myself trying to say said tongue twister and posting it here. Wait, no-- I just tried it and I'm pretty good at it. It's only worth posting if I make an idiot of myself. (That's Rule Number 7 of this blog, by the way.)

10. Antidisestablishmentarianism listed in the Oxford English Dictionary, was considered the longest English word for quite a long time, but today the medical term pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is usually considered to have the title, despite the fact that it was coined to provide an answer to the question ‘What is the longest English word?’.

How the HECK do you say that? Noo-mo-ul-tra-mic-ro-scop-ic-sili-co-vol-can-ee-oh-sis. Yes, I JUST TYPED THAT OUT. BAM.

And this one is the best:

1. “Ough” can be pronounced in eight different ways. The following sentence contains them all: “A rough-coated, dough-faced ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough, coughing
and hiccoughing thoughtfully."


Holy crap! I never realized that before! Stand back. My brain may explode.

Item 2

Why Do Women Love Sugar?

I have been perplexed for years by my boyfriend's casual disregard of desserts. He'll eat them, but they definitely don't matter to him, and if you gave him a choice between bacon and chocolate cake, I bet you a kazillion dollars that he would choose the bacon every time, whereas I would rather lose my pinkie finger than give up chocolate cake forever. (Okay, maybe that's not true. I'm fond of my pinkie finger.)

I also add about 3 teaspooons of sugar to my tea, and he adds half a teaspoon, and sometimes pokes fun at me in that "want some tea with that sugar?" way, although thank goodness he's cool enough to never say that phrase exactly.

BUT NOW, thanks to that article, I can feel secure in knowing that there are some biological reasons why I want sugar all the time. SCORE. To sum it up for you, it could be because:

A. We're trying to keep our weight up so we can sustain a pregnancy (Translation: Blame Estrogen)
B. We naturally have a lower serotonin level in our brains, and sweet foods help our brain produce serotonin (Translation: Blame Yo' Brain)

How Are They Related?

Gosh, I don't know. They're informative. There. TA DA! *jazz hands*

ETA: No, really. Jazz hands.

(PS: I am clever and pressed the "take picture" button with my toe. Again I say: BAM!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails